Perhaps the most dangerous water loss that a home or business can face is a sewage clean-up, also known as a Category 3 water loss. Category 3 losses (“black water”) typically occur from a toilet overflow or septic tank backups. Due to the nature of these losses, and the harmful materials that can come with them, it is critical that you get a certified team out to help with the clean-up if your home or business is affected.
What Characterizes a Category 3 Water Loss?
Category 3 Water Losses can occur for several reasons:
- Toilet overflow/septic tank backup: The more common scenario for a Category 3 Water Loss. Any toilet overflow or septic tank blockage should not be treated lightly, especially if the water breaches other rooms in your home or business.
- Outside water making its way inside: This can be from rivers, lakes, drainage ditches.
- Standing water that has made its way inside: Any water that has the potential to carry microbial growth, such as mold, can leave you and your home vulnerable to mold growth and bacterial contamination.
What to do in the event of a Category 3 Water Loss?
- The safety of you and your loved ones is the primary concern when handling a sewage clean-up. Unlike other water losses, a Category 3 Water Loss contains highly contaminated water. Bringing with it disease, viruses, and parasites, it is critical that you contact a team that is equipped to handle such loss. Do not try and clean a Category 3 Water loss yourself!
- Contact a restoration company that is able to begin the clean-up process safely. WrightWay’s team of technicians is trained in sewage clean-up. Wearing protective suits, puncture-resistant gloves, masks, and boots, they are able to assess the damage within your home and immediately begin the cleaning process.
Unlike an average water loss, these losses require extensive demolition as part of the sewage clean-up. This can include drywall, baseboards, carpets, and cabinets. Once the items have been removed, the property will be cleaned using a special sanitizing agent to remove any contaminants from the area. Air scrubbers are placed in the unit to remove any airborne hazards.
WrightWay offers 24-hour Category 3 cleanup. A team can be on-site in less than an hour if you suspect that you have a Category 3 loss. WrightWay will follow up with all of the appropriate testings following the loss to ensure you and your loved ones remain safe.