Perhaps the most dangerous water losses a home or business can face is a sewage clean up, also known as a Category 3 water loss. Category 3 losses (“black water”) typically occur from a toilet overflow or septic tank backups. Due the nature of these losses, and the harmful materials that can come with it, it is critical that if your home or business is affected you get a certified team out to help with the cleanup.
What Characterizes a Category 3 Water Loss?
Category 3 Water Losses can occur from a number of things:
- Toilet overflow/septic tank backup: The more common scenario for a Category 3 Water Loss. Any toilet overflow or septic tank backup should not be treated lightly, especially if the water breaches other rooms in your home or business.
- Outside water making its way inside: This can be from rivers, lakes, drainage ditches.
- Standing water that has made its way inside: Any water that has the potential to carry microbial growth, such as mold, can leave you and your home vulnerable to mold growth and bacterial contamination.
What to do in the event of a Category 3 Water Loss?
- The safety of you and your loved ones is the main concern when handling a sewage clean up. Unlike other water losses, a Category 3 Water Loss contains highly contaminated water. Bringing with it disease, viruses, and parasites, it is critical that you contact a team that is equipped to handle such loss. Do not try and clean a Category 3 Water loss yourself!
- Contact a restoration company who is able to safely begin the clean up process. WrightWay’s team of technicians is trained in sewage clean up. Wearing protective suits, puncture resistant gloves, masks, and boots, they are able to asses the damage within your home and immediately begin the cleaning process.
Unlike a normal water loss, these losses require extensive demolition as part of the sewage clean up. This can include drywall, baseboards, carpets, and cabinets. Once the items have been removed, the property will be cleaned using a special sanitizing agent to remove any contaminants from the area. Air scrubbers are placed in the unit to remove any airborne hazards.
WrightWay offers 24-hour Category 3 cleanup. A team can be on-site in less than an hour if you suspect that you have a Category 3 loss. WrightWay will follow up with all of the appropriate testings following the loss to ensure you and your loved ones remain safe.